PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Some of my posts contain links to Amazon.com.
The other day, Darling Baby got into my husband’s shaving cream. Since I’ve recently started cleaning up our personal care products and looking for natural options, this prompted me to look at the ingredient list and see how it rated on the EWG Database. I discovered it contained parabens (which are a 10, the worst number on the database) and artificial fragrances. (An 8 on the database.)
I decided to try making a shaving cream recipe with ingredients I had on hand from making this body butter recipe. I had coconut oil, shea butter and apricot oil and some essential oils. I read that baking soda would act as an exfoliant as well so I decided to add a small amount of that.
I chose to use these essential oils because they are beneficial to both the skin and mood.
- Eucalyptus is cooling, refreshing, breaks up congestion and has disinfecting properties.
- Peppermint is uplifting to the mood, is energizing, breaks up congestion, soothes itchy skin and is cooling to the body.
- Lavender has a fresh scent, improves breathing, breaks up congestion, is healing when applied to the skin and uplifts the mood.
Therapeutic grade essential oils can be found here.
There is no soap in this recipe so it won’t foam like commercial shaving cream. It should be applied in a thin layer, allowed to sit for a minute to soften skin and facial hair, then wiped off with a towel after shaving. There is no need to wash it off.
For a more environmentally sustainable alternative to conventional razors, I recommend using a safety razor. They give a closer shave, create less waste, and the razor blades are much less expensive than the blades you’ll find at your local store.
I’m giving this shaving cream to all the men in my life for the holidays this year along with this safety razor.
I thought it would be fun to decorate the jars and I found these stickers which seemed like a perfect fit. I covered the lid with a little neutral scrapbook paper and then put the sticker on top. What do you think?
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Cup Shea Butter
- 1 Tablespoon jojoba or apricot oil
- 15 drops lavender essential oil
- 5 drops peppermint essential oil
- 5 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1.Place a glass bowl or measuring cup over a saucepan of water.
- 2.Put the coconut oil, shea butter and jojoba oil in the glass vessel.
- 3.Bring the water in the saucepan to a low boil and whisk the oils together until they go from white to clear.
- 4.Remove the oils from the heat and add essential oils and baking soda.
- 5.Whisk ingredients together and refrigerate.
- 6.When mixture is white and solid, whip with a hand mixer until light and fluffy.
- 7.Return to refrigerater for another hour.
- 8.Whip again until mixture resembles heavy whipped cream.
- 9.Spoon shaving cream into jars and decorate if you’d like.