The weather is getting warmer, here in San Diego it’s in the 70s or 80s every day now! I’ve been planning out my garden and already started planting the herbs I use the most. Herbs are so easy to grow and I use them so often that I’ve grown them everywhere I’ve lived, whether in a little pot in my kitchen at my last apartment, or outside like in my current home.
There are a few herbs I use frequently in cooking and I try to have these essential herbs on hand at all times.
- I love mint in water
- Mint makes a beautiful garnish for desserts
- Mint is delicious in desserts like this ice cream recipe
- Sage is delicous with pork or poultry
- Try sage in this unusual and delicious lasagna
- I make a simple roasted salmon dinner with rosemary. Lay a wild salmon fillet on a bed on sliced red onions. Season with salt and pepper, then cover with branches of rosemary and roast at 425 for 20 minutes or until flaky and cooked through.
- Toss 2 cups of soaked and dehydrated walnuts with 2 tablespoons dried rosemary and 1/4 cup melted butter. Sprinkle with sea salt and a little cayenne pepper and bake for 10 minutes at 350 for a delicous snack.
- Basil, sliced tomatoes and fresh mozzerella drizzled with olive oil is my favorite salad in the summertime
- Combine basil leaves, garlic, pine nuts and extra virgin olive oil in a food processor to make pesto sauce
- Finish your bone broth by throwing in a handfull of parsley to add flavor and minerals
- Make a refresing Tabouli Salad with parsley and mint
- Chop fresh oregano and throw it in your pasta sauce
- Make this unexpected tomato side dish
While I use these six essential herbs the most in my cooking, this is by no means an exhaustive list. It’s a good place to start though if you don’t know where to begin.
Next week I will write a post about the herbs I like to grow for what I consider a complete cook’s herb garden.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.