Want to start using essential oils? Read this first!
Essential oils have changed my life – and believe me, I was a skeptic when I was first introduced to them. How on earth could a sniff of this or a rub of that help to improve my family’s health or well-being?
But before I explain why essential oils are so great, you might be wondering what they actually are!
What are essential oils?
Essential oils are the oil of the plant from which they were extracted. They’re basically concentrated herbs! They contain all the goodness that protects and maintains the plant, and we can use them to help support our own bodies’ health and wellness.
There are many different kinds of oils out there, and they all have different properties and uses. From well-known plants like Bergamot and Eucalyptus to unusual and exotic ones like Petitgrain and Spikenard, there’s an unfathomably huge range to choose from – and they each provide all sorts of different benefits and uses.
How can essential oils help promote the health and wellbeing of you and your family?
I’m no scientist (and you probably aren’t either), so I’ll explain how essential oils have helped my loved ones and me…
I stress out easily – which you’ll already know if you’re a regular reader of my blog! Lavender is my go-to for stress: it relaxes me, calms me down, and takes the edge off my worries.
I also combine Lavender with Lemon and Peppermint throughout the year, but especially during the Spring. When pollen counts are high, we love Lemon, Lavender and Peppermint for healthy respiratory support!
Peppermint gets used during homework time too: we put it in the diffuser in the dining room where we work, and it helps us all focus so much better and enjoy what we’re working on.
Those are just three examples, but essential oils have also replaced many everyday products that I used to spend a fortune on. I now clean my home with oil-infused natural cleaners rather than toxic chemicals from the supermarket, for example. I cleanse my face with oil-infused natural products too. And everyone in the family benefits from using calming essential oils in the diffuser before bedtime!
Can you just use any essential oils?
In my opinion, no. I’ve done a lot of research into this and if you ask me, there’s one particular brand that stands head and shoulders above the rest: Young Living.
Introducing Young Living Essential Oils!
There are many reasons why this brand is so great, but here are my three favorites:
1: The source matters
One of the most important things I’ve learned in my journey to healthy living is that it’s not just what something is – it’s where it comes from, how it’s grown, and how it’s processed. Whether it’s blueberries fresh from the farm, or cows on green pasture, or a soft organic t-shirt, I know that the source matters.
I did many hours of research to find an essential oil company that I felt I could trust with my family’s health. Young Living is that company: they truly care about quality.
To ensure the purity of their oils, the team at Young Living set the highest standards for planting, harvesting, and distilling on the farms they own and co-op. And if I’m going to be putting products on my family’s skin and around our home, I want to know they’re pure and unadulterated!
2: You become part of a big, friendly community
As a Young Living customer, you automatically become a member of a big oily family that will give you all the support and advice you need! It’s a wonderful feeling to know you have the help and reassurance of a generous and caring community of moms, experts, and lifelong users.
I’ve been using my oils for a long time, but I still reach out to the our close-knit community for their advice and expertise!
3: The Young Living Premium Starter Kit is the best introduction to essential oils (and it’s such great value, too!)
No other essential oils company offers such a great-value and comprehensive range of products to get you started.
The Young Living Premium Starter Kit contains your everyday staples – all the oils and equipment you’ll want to have on hand for a variety of situations. There’s an excellent user guide, too, which will help you understand how to use everything contained in the kit.
Here’s what else is great: once you buy the Premium Starter Kit, you automatically become a “wholesale member” of Young Living. This means you can continue to buy other Young Living products for a huge 24% discount off the retail price! You’re under zero obligation to buy any other products as a wholesale member, but if you do, you get 24% off!
Ready to buy your Young Living Premium Starter Kit?
Here’s what you get:
- Ten 5ml bottles of essential oils: Lavender, Peppermint, Lemon, Frankincense, PanAway, Stress Away, Thieves, Purification, Melaleuca Alternifolia, and Joy. Plus a bonus bottle of the popular Citrus Fresh blend. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see how I use these essential oils every day.
- A home diffuser with optional light, optional 30-second intervals, and auto-shut-off.
- Aroma Glide roller fitment (to turn any oil into a roll-on)
- Two sample packets each of Lavender, Peppermint, Peace & Calming, Lemon, and Thieves (for you to share with your friends)
- Two NingXia Red 2oz samples (an antioxidant drink concentrate that’s a great supplement for supporting health and wellbeing)
Total value: $300
You pay: $160 – that’s almost 50% off!
And remember: once you’ve purchased the kit, you automatically become a wholesale member – which entitles you to 24% off all future purchases from Young Living! There are NO monthly minimums or fees.
Step-by-step: purchase your Premium Starter Kit
- Click on this link to sign up. SIGN UP HERE
- Select “Sign up as: Young Living Wholesale Member” – which will allow you to purchase the Premium Starter Kit.Remember: you’re NOT obligated to make any further purchases after this. Wholesale membership simply allows you to buy the Premium Starter Kit at a huge discount.
- Fill out your name, billing address, shipping address, and contact information. (You’ll be asked for your social security number in case you want to become a distributor of Young Living products in future. This information will never be shared with anyone.)
- Create your password and PIN – which you’ll use to log in to your account and order any future oils.
- Select your order: the “Premium”, “Basic “Plus” or “Basic” Starter Kit. I highly recommend the Premium: it comes with everything you need to get started, and it’s the best value of the three.
- Optional: sign up for the frequent buyers’ club called Essential Rewards (ER). When you join, you’ll start accumulating rewards points for everything you buy, which can be used to get free products on future orders. There’s no need to join right away – you can purchase your Starter Pack first and join the ER club later if you prefer.
- Agree to the Terms & Conditions.
- CONFIRM YOUR ORDER! I’ve had many folks miss this step and end up not fully checking out – and I don’t want you missing out on your oils!
Some great ways to use the essential oils in your Premium Starter Pack
Each of the oils in your Premium Starter Pack has SO many fabulous uses, but here are some of the ways in which I like to use them:
- Just one single drop rubbed over dry lips will nourish them completely!
- Use it in your bath at bedtime to wind down.
- Massage several drops into the scalp to support healthy hair.
- Apply directly to joints after a hard workout.
- For clear breathing, dab a drop on your tongue and inhale some into your nose.
- During bumpy car or choppy boat rides, rub four drops onto your stomach and chest.
- Rub the oil straight onto the thick skin on your feet twice a day to soften them and support healthy skin.
- Stained clothes? Rub the oil all over the stain, then immediately put the item in the washing machine. Works like no other stain remover – even on dried-out stains!
- Use it as a one-ingredient hand sanitizer!
- Strengthen your immune system by dabbing a few drops on the bottoms of your feet.
- Put a couple of drops on a cyst or wart twice daily to support healthy skin.
- Improve your concentration by applying a couple of drops to the back of your neck and temples.
PanAway (an oil blend containing wintergreen, helichrysum, clove and peppermint):
- Rub it across your lower back if you feel discomfort from sitting in front of a computer.
- Ease minor head tension by applying it to your temples.
- Rub it onto muscles after a vigorous workout.
Stress Away (an oil blend containing copaiba, lime, cedarwood, vanilla, ocotea and lavender):
- If you’re looking for a sense of relaxation or you want to reduce feelings of stress to help you sleep better, Stress Away is for you!
- Apply it generously to your wrists or the back of your neck, use it in a diffuser, or add two drops to water as needed.
- To soothe throat discomfort, gargle a few drops of oil in water, then dilute it with a carrier oil and apply it to the neck and throat.
- Make a disinfectant spray: put half a teaspoon of salt into a 4oz spray bottle, then add 20 drops of the oil (letting the oil absorb the salt). Slowly add distilled water, shake, and you’re done! Use on grimy hands, stinky shoes, lunch boxes and anything else you’d like to disinfect!
Purification (an oil blend containing citronella, lemongrass, lavandin, rosemary, tea tree and myrtle):
- Add a few drops to shoes to help neutralize odors.
- Dab a drop directly onto the site of an insect bite, and the oil will calm down the inflamed blood vessels under the skin that cause the itching.
- Deter bed bugs! Mix the oil with water in a spray bottle, then spray the bed before you get in.
Melaleuca Alternifolia (also known as tea tree oil):
- Use it as a part of your skin care routine.
- Pair it with coconut oil and use it between diaper changes on sensitive bottoms!
- Apply directly to toenails to get rid of that yellow tinge.
Joy (a fragrant oil blend containing bergamot, ylang ylang, geranium, lemon, coriander, tangerine and jasmine – among others):
- Diffuse it in the home to lift everyone’s spirits!
- Rub a few drops on your neck and wrists for a natural perfume.
- For great-smelling clothes, place a couple of drops on a cloth that you put in the dryer.
Congratulations on starting your oily adventure! I’ll be sending you a welcome email soon, which contains tons of resources and information about getting started.